Isn’t this just the most iconic picture ever??
The 2013 Sony World Photography Awards are an annual competition hosted by the World Photography Organisation (WPO), which allows everyone from amateurs to the professionals to showcase their work and compete with others in their field.
The competition is open to anyone, from any background or experience level and of all ages. There were more than 122 000 entries this year, from over 170 different countries and the WPO has recently announced its shortlist of finalists.
There are three different sectors and within each sector there are categories into which the photographs are divided.
Within the Professional (for the serious photographers with a true passion for the job), the Open (for the amateurs and photography enthusiasts) and the Youth sectors, the photographs can be divided into the following categories:
- Arts & Culture
- Contemporary Issues
- Current Affairs
- Fashion & Beauty
- Low Light
- Nature & Wildlife
- Split Second
- Still Life
With a Basic Membership you can enter up to 3 photographs, with an Advanced Membership, you can enter up to 8 photographs and with a Premium Membership you can enter up to 20 photographs.
This is for people who are creative and passionate, those who understand the art of “taking pictures, documenting a story, conceptualising an idea, capturing emotions and evoking a response” from the viewers.
The winners will be announced in March/April, but for now, here are some of the finalists:
There are few artistic expressions that can really move me.
1. Music… A beautiful song (and voice) can take me from 0 to 100 in all different directions and leave me sitting on top of Mt. Kilimanjaro at sunset.
2. Literature… The way the simple arrangement of words can turn something ordinary into something extraordinary never ceases to amaze and enthral me. I love the written word. I love the spoken word. I love words in languages I cannot, as of yet, understand. I love words. Period.
3. Photography… When done right, a picture really does speak a million words. It can take your breath away and mesmerise you, and you can’t even explain why that is. Some pictures make you want to just stare at them for hours and just that, is enough to make you smile.
So anywho… Just felt like sharing some pics specifically relating to the human body and spirit, that have recently caught my attention and my imagination.
* I apologize in advance for not being able to cite all the creators, I have come across these pics at the most random of moments and in a myriad of places, so I have not been able to do due diligence in this regard.
Found these GORGEOUS pics on a random site
Lauren Peralta is a New York-based model and photographer who isn’t afraid to lose all of her inhibitions. As Kevin Chung stated before, “She just has a way of beautifully capturing herself on camera.” The fact that she’s inked up adds another unique element to her self portraits. Here are some of our favorite shots which she simply says are, “Photos of me, by me.”
To check out the site: http://www.mymodernmet.com/
It seems these days, wherever I turn, I’m surrounded by people interested in, studying or just indulging in photography.
I love the art. Especially when its conducted by the truly talented.
Today, (and probably over the next few weeks), I’d like to showcase, celebrate and just indulge in some photography…none of these pictures are mine, make no mistake about that.
This will be random. This will be amazeballs!
Please…feel free to let me know what you think of them.
Credit to the finalists of:
- Sony Photography Awards 2012
- NatGeo Traveller’s Photography Comp
- Claire Cafun
- Black September